Just some random thoughts concerning the person claiming to be a law enforcement officer and flaunting his ignorance for all to see. I may be repeating some of the opinions expressed in the original column, so please be tolerant of my excess.
1. If this person is actually who/what he/she claims to be, this is frightening. For simplicity’s sake, I will assume it’s a male and refer to him as such from now on. If this person doesn’t even understand the basic concepts of our constitution and the guns he is talking about, how can he be expected to properly enforce the law? What about his superiors? Are they any better informed? Probably not, because they probably got their erroneous information from the same place he did. With his obvious ignorance, will he be able to discern a lawful order from and unlawful one? Will he be able to make the distinction between lawful and unlawful enforcement on his own? Probably not.
2. This “assault weapon” trash is just that – trash. Anyone with a little knowledge about how guns function knows what I am talking about. Apparently, this guy doesn’t… “Assault weapons” that are available to the general public are NOT military weapons (the only thing that makes the civilian “assault” rifle into that SCARY classification is it’s cosmetics – body style, sort of…)!!! They operate exactly like any other semi-automatic rifle available to the general public. That’s right, the same function as that little .22 rifle that’s so much fun shoot. If a person has a true “assault rifle” that is military grade, he either got it illegally or he went through a lot of paperwork and background checks to get a special license to be able to own it – oh, and he paid a lot of money, too.
3. Let’s see… Advocating that free, law abiding citizens be able to protect themselves with the best technology they can legally afford under our laws is a dangerous position??? Frankly, I think there are way too many restrictions on what we can legally own and what we have to go through to purchase a gun now - but that’s for another time. He doesn’t want to be outgunned by a criminal? Whose fault is that? Law enforcement agencies can get anything they want for crying out loud! What about me? I can’t even aspire to get my hands on the stuff available to law enforcement and he wants to restrict it even further??? Oh, he doesn’t even touch the subject of how to disarm criminals because it CAN’T BE DONE. By definition, criminals break the law anyway, so whatever is out there, they will find a way to get it. The genie is out of the bottle, Barney Fife. The gangs back in the 1930′s broke into and stole guns (REAL military guns) from armories – and others do it today. Don’t forget, the Washington Navy Yard shooter used a shotgun and then took guns off officers he killed. There were so many security failures leading up to this it gives one a headache just trying to catalog it all. The very government agencies that keep dropping the ball want more power! They can’t find their own butts with both hands and a flashlight and they want me to believe that they can protect us all 24/7. In reality, the police are not there to protect us (the Supreme Court said so), they find the bad guy after the deed is done. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
4. He says the Second Amendment only gives the militia the right to keep and bear arms???!!! That will be news to the Supreme Court that has ruled that it DOES apply to individual citizens. This may come as news to most, but when the US Constitution was written, the word “militia” didn’t mean what we generally think of today. When we use that term today, we usually think of the Army Reserve, National Guard, etc., right? Yes, that’s what we think of. When the founding fathers wrote that troublesome word, “militia” , it meant any able bodied man of military age. They knew exactly what they were saying. They feared government. George Washington said, ” Government is not reason; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.” The Second Amendment states: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE (emphasis mine) to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” A quick primer: “well regulated” means you got your own guns and accessories, and everything is in proper working order. “Security of a free state” means if you want to stay free, you must have the means in your hand to throw off oppressors and you must be able to protect yourself from those who would do you harm because just aren’t enough cops to go around. Thomas Jefferson said, ” The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.” He also said: “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure”. Lastly: “the right of the people” means you and I, as individuals, have the right to keep and bear arms, not a group approved of, and controlled by the government.
5. Last, the rights enumerated in our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are not benevolently bestowed upon us by a loving government. The founding documents clearly state that our rights come from a higher authority (supreme authority, I might add) than man. Our rights come from our Creator and therefore cannot be taken away (Unalienable – remember that strategically placed word?) by man. I hope the law enforcement officers around this guy know and understand the principles on which our country was established better (MUCH better) than he does.
Thanks for your patience.